- Take your kids with you on your next visit to MCCU. And open a Youth Savings Account for them - this teaches them the importance of saving money and how earning interest works!
- Let them watch you balance your checkbook.
- Show your kids how you pay your bills so they know that electricity, water, gas, phones and cable all cost money.
- Give them a budget for an item they want, and let them choose which one to buy.
- Let your kids work to pay for an expensive gadget or a special trip they really want. They can help with chores around the house - that's a win-win!
- Help them open their own small business.
- Let your kids see you occasionally leave a store without buying anything so they learn to fight the impulse to buy, buy, buy.
Your Turn: How do you teach your kids to value money? Share your best techniques with us in the comments!
« Return to "Matadors Money Matters Blog"Go to main navigation